Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

More improvements

Recently I noticed more improvements in Joy's skills, social and self-help. Here is a list (in random order).

1. Noticed right away, when my car arrives at MIL. / noticed right away when I start the car, to go out. She would be at the door, waiting to follow. If by chance I was just trying to park my car outside the gate, to enable another car in front of mine to go out, she would tip toe and watch at the window with worried face and sound, until I drove back in. Then she would do her 'happy dance'  : )

2. She would wait at the door for me to come in. When I called out to her and waved, she would sometimes waved back, or just nod her head in recognition - with eye contact.

3. She noticed when daddy goes out or comes back. Mostly because she wants to go too, or because she's hoping that daddy will buy some tit bits for her.

4. She's getting pretty good in wearing her long pants or shorts. (I'm closing one eye to the fact that she often wears her pants with the back to the front. - will work on that AFTER she is real good in wearing them) She gets frustrated when she took too long to wear her pants, but when she finally did it, she sure looked proud. (by the way, she still has to work on pulling the pants up nicely, with the waist at the waist line). She is also improving in taking off her shirt and wearing them, though her way of taking off her shirts will definitely ruin the collars sooner.- she pushed the shirt down to her legs through the collar, after getting her arms free, just like when she is taking off her skirt.

5. She will get her exercise book from her school bag, when requested to do so. After finishing her homework, she would put the book back into her school bag. (but she still needs prompts)

6. When changing into her pajamas, she would go potty first, before wearing pampers (in case of accidents at night), and put her dirty clothes at the corner where we gather all our dirty clothes before wash.

7. She actually helped me to throw some of the paper cuttings (while I was preparing her materials) into the rubbish bin, far off in the kitchen. We were at MIL's house, and the house is very big. She has to run from the living room to the kitchen to throw the papers - 2 times. (with minimal instructions. I did not even have to get up from my seat to show her) (this was when little brother is having his bath. usually he will rush to help me, pushing his sister aside. Perhaps this is one reason that Joy chose not to do anything (regarding housework) if little brother is around)

8. She is showing that she can be cheeky too. Recently she has taken to touching my tummy, and laugh. When I showed some reaction, she would laughingly, pretend to touch (but not touching) my tummy, and quickly take it away. I am still wondering what makes her laugh so. I don't think my tummy looks funny. (no, I am not preggy. In fact, I lost quite a bit of weight and my tummy is 'quite' flat now (when I sit up straight. Still haven't got rid of the bulging, extra skin result from 2 pregnancies).

9. She is showing more interest in the Ipad recently. With the little brother discovering the kids YouTube that I downloaded, they are enjoying short cartoon clips and children songs. She is showing interest in the games little brother is playing too. 

10. Her interests are more varied. She is interested in ocean creatures, bugs and insects, and princesses. From the blogs I read, most young children loved these themes too. Can I consider her interests typical?

11. She is getting rather good in drinking from the cup too. Though she hasn't yet mastered to position her mouth properly into forms as if reading 'm', at least she could manage drinking from a cup independently.

12. As in typical children, she is showing that she doesn't want to be left alone upstairs in the bedroom, at night. Previously, if she is feeling sleepy, I could just give her a bottle of milk and ask her to go upstairs herself. She shows no reaction to darkness, that I somewhat thinks she is 'brave'. Nowadays, she wants me to accompany her. Just like her little brother. (he is afraid of the dark) He too would not sleep unless I am beside him to accompany him. I am choosing to think positively here. It could be that she has a problem with her sense of security, but I'm loving it that she needs me to put her to bed. We say our prayers and I hold her hands until she feels sleepy. 

I am praying for more improvements in future. I believe God will always be watching over her and this family.

1 comment:

Homeschool @ sg said...

Well done joy! Well done mummy! Mom's are the best teachers!

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)