Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Schooling Journal # 2

As predicted, Jay had another wonderful time last night. 
Sorry for the position of the pictures. Jay traced 6 pages of the numbers 1-8,
from Kumon Book of numbers 1-30. I think its either his hands got sore from the tracing,
or he got bored. In the 7th page, he began to play and make mistakes. (But I didn't push
him to trace so much, it was he who continued page after page until I insisted
 that he is tired and needed to stop.
He still wants to continue with Kumon First Book of Tracing., I asked him to go and play
and rest for 5 minutes. He came back, asking for more 'exercise' in less
than 5 minutes. This time, he traced 13 pages! One after another,
and making up stories from the pictures.
We read 4 books before bedtime. Initially he wanted more,
but it's already 10 pm. Phew! he fell asleep in less than 5 minutes,
after saying his prayers.

This morning, he woke up at 6.45 am. The first thing he asked for was the transfer activity with tong. He did it 2 times, and I extended it to a distance. I put a basket on a stool on each end, and he had to use a spoon to scoop the beads and bring it to the other side, without touching the spoon or beads. He really enjoyed it and did it several times. I called out a colour I wanted him to scoop and he scooped up the correct bead.

After breakfast, he asked for painting. As usual, he wanted to paint train.
I drew this on a drawing paper, and he painted.
We did a lot of reading throughout the day. He learnt quite a few
new words and concepts too. I read the words, explained in Chinese,
make funny noises and literally make a clown of myself. Jay kept
asking questions and sometimes creating his own version of stories.
Once in awhile, he would join in the singing and even dancing,
when he feels like it.  He even made me create my own story,
before he had his nap in the afternoon.
In the evening, he asked to do board puzzles. These
are easy ones. I mixed the puzzles to try to confuse him.
But it didn't work. : )
It's been awhile since he played with this. I let him explore for awhile,
before I made him categorize the parts for daddy bear, baby bear
and mummy bear.
: ) he didn't like it. But at least he tried to finish.
He played with Ipad in short sessions (15 minutes) throughout the day. I count it a blessing that he did not even mention the word TV today. he he he.... (I tried to limit his TV time whenever I can.) Besides, all the apps I downloaded are all fun educational and interactive apps. He unconsciously learnt alot.
Oh, he also did more tracing exercises from his Kumon books - Tracing, Uppercase letters, and Numbers. I told myself not to keep track of how many pages he did, as long as he is happy doing them, and he is learning. (but he sure did a lot!) I think I'll have to find other books for him very soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)