Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Sunday, 20 April 2014

A glimpse into our 'school'... (Joy)

          I admit that I started a few months late into their school year. For the first 2 months, I was focused on my work, and trying to get my daughter's teachers to accept her in school. The emotional roller coaster during that time was intense. Before their 1st mid term examination, I started helping my son with his revision. It's a wake up call to me - that he needs my attention too, in his study. During the short 1st mid term holiday, I gathered my materials and tried to sort out what I needed and how I am going to teach.
          This teaching journey with my daughter has been so electic, that I could not be sure of what method suits her the best. I always have to diversify my teaching methods, using different materials to teach the same concept over and over again. But I also realized that I need something simple enough so that I won't feel inadequate and give up. (I've given up so many times, and had to start all over again when I am more emotionally calm)
          Anyway, I opted to be optimistic. Well, I don't have much choice here. So I gathered workbooks which follows her school curriculum from the local bookstore. In fact, I got almost all the books from all the publishers, except for the ones sold out. Then I got to work, using the worksheets maker online, creating worksheets for both my kids, based on their school books. My plan is simple. I'd help my daughter go through the exercises from each unit several times, from several workbooks. - never mind the fact that she starts way behind her school mates. (we started from unit 1, - I think her school reached unit 6 or 8, for different subjects). For certain exercise/assessments requiring her to read, I would either skip or get her to write the words, and I'll read it several times to her, while explaining the meaning. I am still trying to gauge her understanding and ability in certain subjects, but I can detect somehow that she is able to do more than we gave her credit for (due to her being non-verbal).
          I am still holding her hands in trying to get her to write. But I can sometimes loosen my grip and simply touch-hold her. In other words, I did not help her hand or fingers to move the pencil. A little nudge would most of the time get her writing. One thing for sure, now I know she knows how to copy words.  What I am not sure is, sometimes I am pretty sure she moved her hand and fingers and wrote some numbers (up to teens), or some alphabets. But somehow, she would suddenly unable to do them at times, with only writing "O". It is at times like this I would be very frustrated. I have yet to find out the cause for this. I would like to think of myself as accepting enough of her condition and ability to not imagined her previous 'writing or counting' ability. Sigh..... Any insight anyone?









No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)