Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Sunday, 21 April 2013

2013 - April #8

This week : 
Jay requested to do some colouring. He did 2 pages of these geometrical patterns.

Joy still with her book, whenever she is free.

I started with number rods presentation for both. Joy is co-operative up to rod number 5. She even voluntarily pointed (without hand over hand prompting) to the red and blue sections as I counted loudly) ermmm... I think I heard her say 'yi' (one) a few times. Yeah, I used Chinese with her. That will be first step. I will need to expose her to using BM and English too. I do the same with Jay. He can count in Chinese, English and BM quite fluently, but I'm trying to slow him down to count while pointing slowly on each section - not to rush his counting and lose count later...

This is Jay counting the sections when arranging the rods.

When he is done, he labelled with numbers. I try to get him to notice the longest and shortest (while introducing the vocabulary) and that's it. When I try to go on to talk about longer and shorter.... he said it's enough. He wants to go on to the next activity. 

Both of them loved the sandpaper letters. I think Joy is really attracted with the sensory part. She promptly used two fingers to trace, after I presented and taught her a few times. She is left handed, so, though it complicates things a little, I am happy to hear her sound out the phonetic sound for both. Yup.... she did. Hopefully this will continue.... She then matched the moveable alphabets to the sandpaper cards - giving me more opportunity to sound out the phonetic sounds for her.

I began to see the beauty in 3- parts cards in Montessori. Though to prepare these require extra work, I hope to expose them to more vocabulary in a different way - other than using flash cards all the time. They are both still matching. Joy however, will need more practice in matching the words.

Jay learning to put away the mat.

One of Jay's drawing this week - on a packing box. Nice?
Another craft for Daddy's birthday by Jay. He drew the heart and cut it out. Then he coloured and paste it on another piece of paper and decorated it. 
Since he is not totally well yet, I kept him home from school. I think he is too bored at grandma's house that he requested for scissors and papers to do crafts. He cut shirt and pants from papers. I guess his scissors skills is improving. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)