I have renewed interest in Montessori method. Honestly, I felt guilty for not thinking of this earlier. It caught my attention in the first few months after my daughter's diagnosis, but I pushed it aside, thinking that it is too expensive and besides, she is not fitting in properly in the Montessori kindergarten that I sent her to. I am grateful however, that I do unconsciously practice some of the ideas that I manage to 'remember'. When I reflect upon it these few weeks, I wonder why is it that I needed guidelines on how to teach my own children, and I am always so unsure of what to do with them, or if what I am doing is right. I can only come to the conclusion that it's because I wanted to do the best for them, and I am certainly nervous about making things more difficult for my daughter, than it already is.
Anyway, though my lessons at home are not as structured as suggested, I try to get ideas from the free montessori albums that I can get from various blogs. Thank you very much for those who are so generous to share.
I tried number cards and counters. The numbers, I already have from AMIQ, and I bought 55 pcs of buttons at RM0.35 cents each. (after discounts, coz I bought so many)
After presenting once to her, I prompted Joy to do it by herself. She seemed to get the idea. She kept laughing and looking at me... but she got the buttons right.
Jay didn't need presenting. He was doing his craft when I was guiding Joy, but he was actually listening and watching us. I let him try to do 1-10. No problem.
In between lessons, and while I am teaching the other, they are required to get a book and 'read'. Joy is interested in the animal encyclopedia - Ray and rattlesnake
Jay spent 2 days to finish this.
Jay with Logico. He can now do this independently, so I can have more time with Joy.
Remember this? I bought these cute stencils for Jay's birthday. He is interested in these after I try to get his sister to do them. Talk about competitiveness. Hmmmm.....






No comments:
Post a Comment
It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)