Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Thursday, 28 February 2013

The brighter side of things....

I promised myself that I must consciously remind myself to look at the bright side of things... especially when it's about my children. Especially if it's about my children. Well, this post is just to remind myself of some of the things we (hubby and I) found amusing and can be considered improvements in our girl.

Her kindergarten teacher has been telling me that my daughter has started to observe her friends' mouth when they are reading. Previously, she would cover her ears when they have read together sessions. But the teacher slowly had her listen and sometimes even to try to sound out the words. (not often, but she did look like she is trying - with her eyes looking with concentration at the teacher's mouth and her own lips moving). The teacher is also trying to teach her to sit on the floor with her legs crossed, instead of half kneeling, and sat on her own feet. Actually I have no problem with the way she sits, but according to the teacher, she might feel painful if she sits for a long time with her sitting position (I agree) and she is much taller than her friends when she sits that way too. She sits in the front row, and naturally will block her friends. (remember that her classmates were all younger than her). Well, what I am trying to say is, my daughter really attempted to learn how to sit like her friends. The teacher is very pleased with her attempts to position her legs and all, that even though she has not been able to do it yet, the teacher is very confident that she only needs more time to practice. (I am so glad the teacher is so optimistic).

At home, we have been asking more of her. I'll ask her to go and get her own pajamas or day clothes. She will bring them to me and with minimal help, she will change her clothes and picked up her clothes to put in the laundry basket in the kitchen. While she is on her way to the kitchen, sometimes I would remind her to close the kitchen door, which she would do after she puts her clothes into the basket.

Joy is slowly getting used to climbing up and down the staircase again. (she seemed to forget this skill when she went to my parents' too often and she was not allowed to climb upstairs).

Her daddy often asked her to bring things to him. His handphone, her toys, and others. She is more willing to  get the things for him, and sometimes she even have to look for the things before bringing them to daddy. (we did not purposely put the things for her to find.)

My daughter has learnt (or is it natural for girls?) that by smiling sweetly, she could have the adults do things for her. When she wants to have snacks, she would get the container and hand it to an adult and smile sweetly with anticipation. Even when we require her to say something, sometimes she would just nod as answer and smiled. When we asked her to give us something that she is playing with, and she didn't feel like giving it to us, she would just smile sweetly and run away. - the power of a smile that I have yet to overcome. (most of the time we find it amusing that we would laugh and let her off)

hmmm.... there are more that I can't remember, but this list will do for now. Even typing these makes me feel better. Well, there's always a brighter side to things, if only you look hard for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)