Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Friday, 31 August 2012

More updates

It has been quite awhile since I recorded any changes in Joy. The professionals working with Autism has been telling me that these children will always change. They will go through phases, just like any typical children, - but the only thing is, with these children, you will never know what to expect, or to predict what phase they are going into.

Good news;
Recently, Joy has been communicating her basic needs more willingly and more often. - almost everyday. We do not have to coax her to do it. It's encouraging - but I think she needs to step up and speak more words instead of the usual 'yao - want', and 'er liao - hungry'. She has mentioned 'mian mian - noodles' the other day, when she saw us cooking noodles. When hubby asked her if she wants to eat noodles, she answered 'dui - right'. And when she can't wait for the eggs to cook, she said - 'er liao - hungry'.

I saw myself how she showed her possessive streak. We were at my parents' house, and both the kids were waiting for my dad to come home. My son opened the door wide for grandpapa to come in, but as soon as he gets closer to grandpapa, Joy, who was observing from far, rushed to grandpapa, made some sounds of impatience, grabbed grandpapa's hands and pulled him away from her brother. - As a bystander watching this, I could not help but laugh. My daughter loves her grandpapa and she did not want to share him : )

She has been using tricks to lure the adults away, so that she could do something that she's not allowed to do. At home, when she wants to do something we do not allow, she would do it in increament - when she thinks we are not watching. eg, she wants to go upstairs. I remind her not to go. she would sit or play on the staircase, and slowly worked her way upstairs. She kept her eyes on me - whenever I looked at her, she would come down a little, or just stop where she is. When I wasn't watching - she would quickly climb up a few steps. If I did not comment anything - she would be upstairs. As soon as I called out to her, she would come down.

When she needs to change (especially her pants), I would ask her to go and find it herself from the basket. She could wear her pants quite well now. I just have to work on her taking off her shirt and wear without my help. Then perhaps teach her to match her clothes. (A phase her little brother is in now)

Bad news;
She has been playing with urine! She would put her hands or a toy into the potty. When I first discovered it, I was so angry, that I spanked her and take away the potty. Now the potty is kept in the kitchen - with the door closed all the time.
I think she did not know the difference between the urine with water. Recently she loves playing with water. She would push a chair to the kitchen wash basin and turn on the tap to play with the water. She also goes to the upstairs washroom to do this. (Now I locked the washroom all the time) I have been thinking of getting her a small pool to play with. sigh - have to add that item in the budget.

She has been licking her felt soft toys, putting them in her mouth until it's all wet. Ewww.... and she puts key chains into her mouth too. The chain part. sigh.... I have no idea how to help her in this. She would not want anything 'safe' I gave her. The other day, she eats the egg shell, right in front of hubby. MIL asked her to eat her own eggs while she goes to the washroom. She puts the shell into her mouth, and when hubby noticed it, she refused to open her mouth and instead quickly swallowed it.
Any ideas how to approach this?



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)