Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Saturday, 30 June 2012

On word awareness

I have been trying to interest Jay in reading words. This week, I tried with colours and numbers.


I used the colour counters from his transportation set. I asked Jay to put the counters onto the correct cars. He has to read the words and find the correct counters. He likes to be funny and puts them upside down. As he learnt 'upside down' and 'upright', I also helped him to try to say simple sentences in English. I just wanted him to be more exposed to the language. Of course, I direct his attention to the spelling of the words, as he is still not consistent in recognising the words. (or is he trying to be funny here? sometimes he gets it, sometimes he don't. When he gets it wrong, he'll smile and waits for my response. hmmm...)

We worked on word recognition for numbers one to five. I made it into a game of turn taking. When it's my turn, I'll spell out the word loudly and wonders (loudly) where to put the word. hi hi... this trick initiated him to help me. He runs around the board and learns a phrase or two. (Now, it's my turn/ It's your turn).

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)