Previously, I pride myself in saving money from buying some flash cards that consists of only printed words. I can easily made them myself with my computer, and laminate them with my laminator. But, I forgot to factor in the time that I need to spend, to prepare them. I am not a very organized person. And I must admit that I could never come up with a systematic program to teach my kids to read - step by step. Anyway, I really have to be more disciplined, with a program to follow, (though knowing me, I would never follow the instructions line by line). I found these from Popular Book store sale last month. They have a website that have a whole list of their products. They actually cater for 0 - 5 year old. However, I found that the products are suitable for Joy. She is very co-operative with this program and even learnt a few words. Jay, of course, is breezing through, way ahead of his sister. The sales person told me that since my kids are both much older, they should be able to breeze through and finish the whole program in a year. I am not expecting too much from Joy, but I am hoping to incorporate this reading skill for her PECS.
Below are just pictures of the level 1 set for English Language and Set 1 for Chinese Language. There are also a program for learning Bahasa Melayu, but I am keeping them for later. Too many languages may be confusing for Joy.
![]() |
| Level 1, set 1. |
# I am posting this just to introduce the reading programs that I am using, and by no means, under obligation to praise the programs. ( I spent quite a fortune buying the programme myself)
On other hand, I fully intend to modify the program to suit Joy's learning ability. These are a few of my current ideas.
1. After a few sessions of the flash cards each day, I try to make my own cards, and asked her to match, point, or simply choose and give the appropriate card to me.
2. Match pictures to the cards (using my other flash cards available)
3. Writing the words on different coloured cards, and ask her to match the same. (the different colours to function as a distractor)
4. Write the words on stock cards, and paste a few stickers as distractor.
5. Making board games.
6. Making a game out of it. Pretending to lost the word, and ask her to go and find the specific word. (of course making sure she knew where it is) - tried this a few times, she is always eager to comply
Are there any more suggestions to add to the list? You are most welcome to give more suggestions through the comments. Thanks in advance!



No comments:
Post a Comment
It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)