The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same;
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same;
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
This is one of the poem I taught my upper form students, a few years back. It is a good poem, with different messages for both myself and my students. It came to my mind today, after I read a message from a sister in Christ, concerning Joy's registration for primary school. The registration starts on the 1st of March, and will only be open for a month. Which means, in the month of March 2012, I will need to decide where Joy is going to study Primary One. It will be in another 2 years, but rules has it that we need to register this year.
I was driving back from school, and mentally cooking up ways and means to get her into a primary school that is suitable for her. At the same time, her lists of skills 'yet to be mastered' kept reminding me of possible problems if she goes through this plan or that plan....
The poem reminds me, that it is not easy to chose a road less trodden. Hubby and I were forced to go along this road by The Diagnosis. And we chose to fight it, the way we thought we should. We did not want to go along the well-trodden path of other parents with special needs. Yet. We chose to go along the road less trodden. Not knowing what is at the end of the path, knowing that there will be no return ticket. We wanted our girl to go to a school for typical children. We do not wish for her to be in special schools. (not that I did not ponder upon this option before, but I am not convinced that it's the best choice for my girl) I mean, she needs to learn to get along with people, be it with disability or not. There is a story on how to teach a person to swim. Push the person into the swimming pool, and he will definitely try his best to splash and swim for dear life. I know it will not be easy for both hubby and me, and Joy, but we don't want to isolate her into special class so soon. She needs to be given the chance to prove to everyone and to herself, that she is able to learn to get along fine in a typical school setting. When she grows up, she will need to include herself in the community, instead of being isolated.
There will be more obstacles as we go along this path. We had to overcome each one, praying that the end will be worth it. I know that going along the road taken by most parents will be an easier option. I, for one, will be relieved of all the complaints and glaring differences of my child with other typical children. But I am bracing myself to accept this challenge. I am ready to hear complaints, if it means that after the complaints, the teachers will try to listen to my suggestion or to find ways to overcome the source of the complaints.
So far, we have decided to send her to a very small school. In fact, the smallest we could find, that fits our transportation requirement. We have yet to take the action and register her. I am going to go and visit the school sometime next week, while it's still busy with students and teachers. Just to get a picture of how things are going to be. But for now, with the tentative decision, I offer up everything else to God. I believe He will show us the way, and guide us to overcome whatever obstacles (I already foresee) when the time comes.
Remember to pray for us!
So far, we have decided to send her to a very small school. In fact, the smallest we could find, that fits our transportation requirement. We have yet to take the action and register her. I am going to go and visit the school sometime next week, while it's still busy with students and teachers. Just to get a picture of how things are going to be. But for now, with the tentative decision, I offer up everything else to God. I believe He will show us the way, and guide us to overcome whatever obstacles (I already foresee) when the time comes.
Remember to pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)