Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Updates... on Jay (sort of)

I have to keep reminding myself that I need to be fair to both my children. As I spend more time teaching my daughter, I still have a son who needs my attention just as much. He is such a blessing to us... but at times I have to remind myself that he is still young and I know I am rather tough on him as I expected alot from him.

      This year is his last year in kindergarten. Next year he will be in Primary 1. He insisted on going to the same school as sister, which after long discussions and thought, we registered him there. Hopefully by not separating them in different schools, he will grow up learning to protect his sister in the community.

       He learnt to love reading chinese books and comics during free time, and has been requesting for books and more books as presents when he get good marks in his school tests. We don't mind getting him books, as he really does put in alot of effort in his study when we promised him the books... And he learnt alot of the idioms and proverbs in Chinese... he loves to test me all the time - knowing well that I am not that proficient in Chinese. I am still working on his phonics and English though. And his suku kata and BM certainly needs some pushing. I'll work on that intensively during the school holiday.

      As for his piano, his piano teacher is getting him ready for Grade 1 next year - so I'll have to start worrying where to get him a real piano for practice at home.

      I'm giving him until the end of the year to decide if he will continue with his arts class outside. He doesn't seem to progress much in his colouring skills from his 3 hours per week lessons. It has been almost 8 months but I do not see any progress from the arts that he brought home every week. We'll see....

       He has been a huge help in helping to keep an eye on his sister whenever we are not free, or when they are at MIL. He knows how to handle his sister, and loves to insist sister to interact with him. The sister will comply when she is in the mood but there will be 'squabbles' too... which I think is normal between children - especially when they are after the same toys. He forces sister to learn to share her things and taught her her 'school work' in his own cute ways. I am glad that the sister is quite compliant with her brother.

      He has also been helping alot with housework. He learnt to wash the dishes (which I need to redo when he is not watching), helped to sort out the mountain of clean clothes, sometimes folding his and sister's clothes, helped to put dirty clothes into the washing machine, pick up the living room (after scolding), vacumm the floor, etc etc.... for a 6 year old, he is doing quite alot, in my opinion.

      Anyway, I am aware that he is still a little boy. I still have a lot of things that I need to teach him as he grows up - hopefully into an all rounded personality that is able to care and love his sister and this family well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)