Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Friday, 3 January 2014

Primary 1...


          We started the first day of school in a daze. With heavy heart, I had to go to work, praying hard that everything will be fine with my daughter on her first day in Primary school. My husband sent her to school. We were nervous and wanted to do everything right from the start, but ended up making mistake for being too 'obedient'. When we met her school headmaster a few days before the school opens, we were told that we have to arrive by 6:45am. I kept reminding my husband to be earlier to secure a front table for Joy. He went early, but the school wasn't even opened. The classroom was still locked. So he brought Joy to the toilet, which she went without a fuss. But the drama began when she came out of the toilet to find a whole group of students with parents all waiting outside the classroom. And she refused to go into the class. Our prediction was that she was overwhelmed by the sudden 'appearance' of these people, which I assume was not being quiet. You know how mothers are when they are in school, especially 'home makers' when they met with other mothers they know... phew... I wonder if they thought that school is a meeting place for them to vent about their household and children. (anyway, not meaning to offend any homemakers out there - it's just what I've observed and experienced when I was at home on leave for a few months previously)

          Anyway, my daughter refused to go into the class, and instead pulled her father to the car and sat in the car. They waited in the car until the other students (and parents) were rather settled in her class. The headmaster saw both of them on their way back to the class and insisted to take over. She took my daughter by the hand and asked my husband to go back - insisting that parent's presence may be the cause of her reluctance to be in class. 

          Well, my husband wasn't really convinced. He re parked his car in a hidden corner to watch. As predicted, my now crying (loudly) daughter ran out of the class - towards the staircase (the toilet was under the staircase) , looked and searched everywhere looking for someone - and finally made the bee line towards the school gate - at which, the teachers and headmaster who has been watching her had to run and hold her back. 

          By the time I called the school around 8 am, I was told that she is in the headmaster's office (thank God, not crying) because she was distracting the whole class (and I think the whole school). I was told that the headmaster tried to talk to her, and did a bit of assessment with her - and everything wasn't looking pretty from there. 

          I was told that she couldn't understand people, can't write, and will face / bring lots of 'troubles academically.  Sigh... this is certainly not what I had anticipated for the first day of MY work too. Both hubby and I were very moody at work and we started having headaches. 

          I started calling for advise from her previous tuition teacher and was given some pointers on what to do. I followed her instructions and Phew..... she did rather well on the second day in school. She went into her class by herself (daddy carrying her bag following behind), sat on her allocated chair and started playing with the zipper head on her bag. (I assume this was for her sense of security). When her daddy reminded her to hand in her Buku Kesihatan, she took it out of her bag and handed it to her teacher who was just in front of her. (I am smilling as I typed this). When I went to fetch her after school, I purposely parked where I can see her class, and observed the class from far. I can't see what is going on in there (too far) but I can see some students looking out the door or windows towards the parking lot. 
          My daughter came to the front door once, and I saw her 'playing' with a friend. I purposely waited until some of the parents went in and fetched their children. I wanted to see if she will come out of the class by herself - as the teacher is no longer in the class. She didn't. When she saw me, she handed me her bag. At the same time her Maths teacher came in, and I stopped to chat with her for awhile, at which my daughter started pulling me to go...  but she obediently took her water bottle and drank her water while I continued talking with the teacher. By the way, she did not drink water at all during school time. On the first day, it was full when she got home. The second day, she only started drinking when I asked her to - when I fetched her - and she finished half the bottle in the car. I try to be positive about this - maybe she is still overwhelmed by all the new things happening. (I don't even dare to ask of she's going to the toilet) - I think this can wait. I am more concerned about her behaving herself in the class. So far, I have not had calls from her class teacher, which I took it as a good sign. But the Maths teacher has been telling me that she is not listening from her original allocated seat - the frnt row near the window - and during maths, she has to sit next to the teacher's table - I  have no objection to this. (I secretly hoped all the other teachers would do this too) _ though the Math teacher told me that the seat next to the teacher is for 'naughty' students. 

Another notable point is that she can actually recognize my car. I think perhaps she saw me from her classroom. After getting out of the class, I asked her to walk by herself and find my car. I wanted to see if she can get out of the classroom and get to the gate by herself - as the grandfather will be fetching her most of the time. She walked out of the gate (looking at me once in awhile) with me following her with her heavy bag. She went directly to my car albeit slowly. (I think her feet hurt from wearing shoes the whole morning, though I was sure the shoes were not too small - she was almost tip toeing wearing the shoes and took the shoes off at once, when she got in the car) - have to find out the reason to this... 

Anyway, it has only been 2 days. Hopefully next week will be better. Please pray for her!

3 comments:

homeschoolsg said...

Is this a mainstream school? We're the teachers aware of her case?

Things could be worse, it seems like an acceptable first days of school. See the brighter side of things! Hope every day from now you will uncover positive things from & about your daughter :) hugs

homeschoolsg said...

Hugs. Give her time to get use to her new environment. Must tell the teachers who quirks and how to manage her. God's grace will help you pull through this year!

lydia said...

yeah... it's a small mainstream school.There's a few more updates I'll post when I get things more settled.up, Yup, in the end, it's God's grace we rely upon.

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)