Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Thursday, 7 November 2013

Reading = Relaxation

          I am a bookworm. I love books. I love reading. It is no surprise to anyone who knew me since we were students. Reading is a way for me to get away from the hustle and bustle in everyday life. As student, I read to retreat from academic and social stress. I had read Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys, most of the classics like Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet etc and all of Enid Blyton's books by the time I finish primary school. I remember I devoured more classics like Pride and Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Little Women and the likes in my Secondary years. By the time I was in University, It wasn't difficult for me to go through the thick reference books in English, as long as I set my heart to just reading them like story books. hihihi.... 

          Then, as I entered the workforce, I learnt to love magazines. I was intrigue by interior designs and subscribed to a few titles. Religious books and motivational books were also included once in awhile, as and when life seemed to be too much to bear. Then I turned to Pregnancy and Parenting books and magazines as my husband and I prepare for our wedding and later for babies. 

          I had never imagined that I would treat reading so seriously as I did the moment I got a diagnosis for my daughter. Reading, which was my hobby for relaxation become a must - in order to gain more insight and knowledge about her diagnosis. And truthfully - It is not relaxing at all. NOPE! Reading has become a chore, yet a must in those early days. If I wasn't reading a related book, I'd be reading about some research in the net. Then, suddenly I discovered there's no more related books I could borrow and read. I'd have to buy some other titles which I am interested in. But I didn't. That's when I stopped. I stopped searching for books to read. 

          I think I stopped reading for almost a year. (of course, referring back to those books I've read before doesn't count.) I meant I've not read a new book for quite a long time. (In this case, reading children's books to the kids doesn't count either)

         But recently, as the end of the year drew near, the stress and pressure from all sides has become unbearable. With no short getaways in the earlier months, I was beginning to crumble. My body was telling me to slow down by deciding to get sick every 3-4 weeks. And I was physically and mentally soooooo exhausted. 



And I decided to read again. This time, to read for pleasure, for motivation. To read just for the sake of reading and resting my mind. I think it works.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)