Popular Posts

Featured Posts

Easing into homeschool routine

Since the end of November, I have been diligent in unpacking all materials I may need as the children’s learning materials. Some are still i...

Friday, 23 December 2011

Penny for your thoughts....

Met with an old friend this morning. She has 2 beautiful kids. (I really adore their big round eyes). We have not met for almost a year and chatted about everything. (well, mostly about the kids). She threw me a question and started me thinking. Let me see if I can put it down nicely so that you would understand.
hmm.... She started teaching her eldest, a boy, very early on, the alphabets, numbers and so on. And the family traveled a lot. The boy started kindergarten last year, and the teacher observed that he looked bored in class. He already knew the basics ABC's and 123's and colours and stuff, and he knew about all the stuff the teachers are talking about. His general knowledge is very good. The mother got scared that too much early exposure would lead to her children feeling bored with school (because they already knew all the stuff the teacher is teaching) that she 'reduced' her 'teaching' with her younger daughter. In her own words. 'Let her learn everything she needs to learn in school.' hmmm..... is this story clear enough?

My thoughts? Would it really matter if parents teach (exposed) their children early to academics? How can parents refrain from 'teaching' their children? I mean, we teach them all the time, right? Informally. We talk about colours and shapes, and show them how to count and recognize alphabets and we teach them how to behave and we explain things to them all the time. We talk to them, right?
But will the children get bored of school if they were exposed early to academics, and later affect their future learning ability in school.

2 comments:

Annette W. said...

I suspect that for parents of bright kids who learn a lot early on they will always be teaching them. My daughter is in preschool and reading rather well...not on purpose, but still.

I am a former elem teacher. Yes, some kids get bored, but a good teacher can still excite a child....even on an old topic.

lydia said...

Yup. I appreciated your comment. I did not keep track on comments section that I did not realise it when there are comments from anyone. Being a teacher myself, I realized its mostly up to the teacher, to keep the students interested and motivated. But with the large number of students we have to cater to..... I don't have to go into details....

Post a Comment

It's nice to know there's people reading and enjoying my posts. Please let me know you are here :)